Date: Sunday, November 8, 2020
Session Type: Poster Session C
Session Time: 9:00AM-11:00AM
Background/Purpose: Sarcoidosis is a multisystemic disease characterized by the formation of non-necrotizing granulomas. The most frequently affected organs are the lungs, skin and eyes. Systemic corticosteroids are the most used drugs in the treatment of this disease. Conventional and biological immunosuppressants may also be used.
Objectives: To evaluate the systemic treatment of sarcoidosis according to clinical domains.
Methods: Study of all consecutive patients diagnosed with sarcoidosis between 1/1/1999 and 1/1/2019 in a tertiary university hospital. The diagnosis was established following the ATS/ERS/WASOG criteria (Eur Respir J. 1999;14(4):735-737): compatible clinical and radiological presentation, evidence of non-caseifying granulomas and exclusion of other granulomatous diseases.
Results: We studied 377 patients (188 men/189 women), mean age at diagnosis of 46.0±14.8 years. After a mean follow-up of 13.0±9.3 years, 161 (42.7%) patients did not require treatment. The remaining 216 (57.3%) received oral glucocorticoids (206, 54.6%) with a maximum mean dose of 43.2±19.0 mg/day, conventional immunosuppressants (60, 16.2%), biological therapy (28, 7.4%) and/or endovenous methylprednisolone (15, 4.0%). Biological therapy was indicated by pulmonary (9, 32.1%), ocular (9, 32.1%), neurological (3, 10.7%), muskuloeskeletal (3, 10.7%), cutaneous (2, 7.1%), nephrological involvement (1, 3.6%); and Heerfordt’s syndrome (1, 3.6%). Adalimumab and Infliximab were the biologics used more frequently (Table 1-2).
Conclusion: Compared to other studies, the high percentage of patients who required systemic treatment is remarkable. It also highlights the frequency of the use of biological drugs in more severe organ involvement (ocular and neurological), which is consistent with the trend in recent years.
To cite this abstract in AMA style:Martinez-Lopez D, Fernandez-Ramon R, Martín-Varillas J, Sanchez-Bilbao L, Gonzalez-Mazon I, Gaitan-Valdizan J, Demetrio-Pablo R, González-Gay M, Blanco R. Systemic Treatment in Sarcoidosis. Study of 377 Patients from a Single University Hospital [abstract]. Arthritis Rheumatol. 2020; 72 (suppl 10). https://acrabstracts.org/abstract/systemic-treatment-in-sarcoidosis-study-of-377-patients-from-a-single-university-hospital/. Accessed January 22, 2021.
« Back to ACR Convergence 2020
ACR Meeting Abstracts - https://acrabstracts.org/abstract/systemic-treatment-in-sarcoidosis-study-of-377-patients-from-a-single-university-hospital/